The Bardi chapel

The chapel under the patronage of the Bardi family was dedicated to Saint Francis whose life was celebrated by Giotto in 1325 in the six episodes which decorate the walls.

In the eighteen century the frescoes were painted with quicklime and covered with funeral monuments and tombstones.
Between 1849 and 1850 they were brought back to life and restored by the painter Gaetano Bianchi then, around 1958 other original parts were recovered.

The thirteenth century panel on the altarpiece representing Saint Francis and stories of his life was attributed to an unknown artist, therefore named after the painting as "Maestro della Tavola Bardi”.

Sitemap >