The Peruzzi chapel
The chapel, patronized by the wealthy Peruzzi family, was dedicated to the Saints John the
Baptist and John the Evangelist. The painting which decorates the walls was the first Giotto’s
intervention in Santa Croce which is supposed to be dated between 1317 and 1320.
The scenes, covered with quicklime in the 1700s, were rediscovered again in 1841 and restored
by Antonio Marini: unfortunately the results were not good enough because of the bad quality
of the restoration work and Giotto’s use of dry paint instead of the technique of fresco painting.
A first approach to reality of figures and the attempt to create perspective underline the dedication
to research which preludes the artistic developments during Renaissance time.